Skype on iPhone?
In December 2003 I bought a SonyEricsson P900 smartphone. I loved it. FANTASTIC apparatus! But, the battery was dead (since almost a year I was charging it almost continuously on my laptop USB port!), most of the keys didn?t work (but i had the touchpad), it was full of scratches, etc. Therefore I replaced my SonyEricsson by an iPhone. Why? The HYPE, and my former love of APPLE ? yes certainly. It isn?t a shame to admit this.
After some weeks playing with my iPhone, I have to say I am not impressed at all! I compared my SonyEricsson with the iPhone, and of course a word on Skype!
The good things:
- Fantastic photo rotating and zooming function.
- Yeah! WIFI! Fantastic too!
- OK: great applications (but I had also great applications with my SonyEriccson).
- Bookreading: quite some interesting free books.
- Much more games and applications although I don?t use them often.
- Voice commands: I could do voice ?recognition? calling with my SonyEriccson (Saying ?Claudio? and my ?SonyEriccson? called my son Claudio)
- Copy ? Paste (it seems it will be in the 3.0 iPhone version)
- Handwriting: I could write on my screen to add or change data in my calendar or any other application.
- Videocamera! Ooh, what an iPhone disappointment (I knew it in advance), although ? when you jailbreak it you can have it!!!!!!
- I could use my SonyEriccson as a memory stick! NOT possible with the iPhone!!!!
- I could synchronize it without using a cable for instance with an infrared connection!
- I hate the omnipresence of iTunes on my PC. iTunes is all about selling music and applications, it isn?t very user friendly either. I use AIMP2 for music, an amazing piece of Russian software with lots of extras!
- Loading videos: only MPEG, and most of the time it doesn?t work even for original MPEG videos.
Well, no native Skype on the iPhone (not on the SonyEriccson either) but yes, a very good replacement for it : FRING, only through WIFI (for the time being). But great! Fring also shows me, besides all my Skype contacts, my (very few ) MSN contacts (two of my 3 kids and some other few persons)! I can call, I can ?SkypeOut? and I can chat when on WIFI. Lovely, thanks Fring! AND IT IS FREE!
But ... other dissapointment: if i want to launch another application while 'fringing', Fring stops: no multitasking of iPhone applications!
To be honest, if they steal my iPhone I will scream, but only for the money. And probably I will do a more technical market comparison before deciding what will be my next mobile phone, instead of following the HYPE.
IM+ for Skype, iPhone/iPod Touch version
Enjoy Skype functionality on iPhone / iPod Touch! Pure Skype quality, no extra voice delays. Call and chat with your Skype contacts, call cost-effectively
Skype on iPhone
Jul 9, 2007 Skype on iPhone I recently wrote Skype on the iPhone was not possible. Well, there is a AJAX, Apple, iPhone, Skype, SoonR, voip.
Truphone Brings Skype To iPhone & iTouch
I have been a frequent user of Truphone since it launched its mobile VoIP service over two years ago. What ...
Video: Interview With Skype CEO — Where is Skype for the iPhone?
There is nothing I want more that a Skype client for the iPhone. And Skype CEO Josh Silverman acknowledges that ...
Skype and Apple iPhone... - Skype Community
Official Skype app for the 3G iPhone? - Skype Community
Skype on iPhone: Cost-effective calling from your iPhone a reality
Aug 13, 2007 This is probably one of the most exciting application to be announced for the iPhone since its launch. SHAPE Services, a German company,
Mozilla, Skype join iPhone jailbreak fight • The Register
Feb 18, 2009 While Apple's iPhone is mentioned only once in Skype's filing (PDF) and not at all in Mozilla's (PDF), that überpopular smartphone is ground
IM+ for Skype, iPhone/iPod Touch version
iPhone Application List updated. Visit iPhone Application List with the new cutting edge design optimized for iPhone/iPod Touch! 2008-07-11. » IM+ for Skype
AppleInsider | Mozilla, Skype support EFF's case for iPhone
Feb 18, 2009 The App Store lists a variety of VoIP apps, but Skype currently does not offer an iPhone version of its software. Unclear intent