iPhone for all my internet / comms when away on business? 4 out of 5.
At the start of the week I told you that I would spend 48 hours abroad on business with only my iPhone for all communications and internet connectivity. I award the experience a surprisingly good 4 out of 5.
The need for this experiment came as a result of wanting only to carry hand luggage onto the EasyJet flight, and finding that no amount of compression would get all my clothes, bathroom stuff and laptop into the 55 x 45 x 20 cm flight case. Here's how I got on:
- Taking off from London Luton airport, the iPhone plays the gritty drama Brit movie London To Brighton which was worked very well on the small screen although I did have to zoom in once or twice to see the looks on the characters' faces to check if they were frightened or not! Great sound even if the surround element is reduced to stereo. I rate this experience 4/5
- When I land at Berlin Schoenefeld airport I receive the first of several solemn text message warnings from O2 not to override the automatic data-roaming bar the iPhone has turned on, otherwise it was going to cost £3 per MB. To have downloaded the 700MB London to Brighton movie file directly from iTunes store over the 3G network in Germany would have cost me £2,100. Zooming in on my face looking at such a bill would have been London To Brighton -worthy indeed. Nice to be told up front. 5/5.
- Arriving in my room at the InterContinental hotel causes my first shock - they only have wired internet. The 19.99 euro proposed daily bill is my second shock. No internet in the bedroom, then. 1/5
- Reading the hotel guide reveals that Wifi is available in the lobby and Marlene's Bar lounge. Arrive to discover that the first hour is free! Email is quickly brought up to date. 5/5
- In Marlene's Bar I use Skype to call home, first to the landline and then we quickly switch over to Brin's computer for a free Skype-to-Skype call. Very high quality audio but I have to remember to keep still and not wander round as the Wifi signal varies in strength greatly. I forget and the call drops. However it beats the 35p/minute cost of calling over the cellular network, and I use the saving to drink beer whilst on the Skype call. 4/5
- I like to spend an hour most nights grazing over my favourite news and blog sites. This works well for a while but the small screen begins to strain my eyes. The constant tapping, pinching and finger-scrolling to zoom the pages around gives me hand-ache and I uncover a new form of potential repetitive strain injury. Give up for a while. 3/5
- I find an app called 'Berlin City' that is a complete guide to using the U-Bahn and S-line rail stations. It can find my nearest station based on location and animatedly travels along the lines to a destination station I enter, so I can familairise myself with the route. It even has a whole list of tourist attractions to navigate me to. Best of all, it is a self-contained application and doesn't need any network connection. And it's free. Fantastic! 5/5
- If my phone changes cellular provider, I get a fresh text warning from O2 about the costs of roaming. OK you've told me already! 3/5
So overall I rate the experience as 4 out of 5. If I was staying for much longer I would have started to miss the bigger laptop screen. However if I was staying for much longer I would take hold luggage so the problem would not there anyway - there's only so many clothes you can compress into a flight case even if you do sit on it to zip it up.
So if you're on a 45 hour business excursion, try leaving the laptop at home and eek your communications out of your smartphone. Worth it for the experience!
Nick Lansley's Technology for Tesco.com Blog: iPhone for all my
Nov 20, 2009 iPhone for all my internet / comms when away on business? 4 out of 5. At the start of the week I told you that I would spend 48 hours abroad
Make Money Online - Ask.JoelComm.com
In Part 8 of A Dot Comm Story, I reveal how I took my business to the next level by taking Check out part 5 of my story where I discuss what took place in my From 1996 to 2000, the Internet was the scene of mad money. I've put together a video response that ought to settle the matter once and for all.
Allegiance Communications LLC, Shawnee, OK : Reviews and maps
Some details about this business have recently been edited by the User Rating: 1 out of 5 stars (21 ratings) The last 8 days my internet has been hit or miss, with a lot more miss. I am so glad I gave this Iphone, ironically serviced by AT&T! Post Comment Cancel. User Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Skype on iPhone
Be sure and check out all the other great things you can do with SoonR from the iPhone! .... can someone tell me how to install skype on my IPhone nobody voices against this (edit swear word) Jobs, by the away by time we wake up he .... if you will have internet wireless, you can keep your iphone and use fring.
Google Voice's Secret Weapon: Number Portability
Jun 14, 2009 June 15th, 2009 at 5:27 am; Google Voice May Be Testing Number Portability Β« NMPF ..... βGV Mobileβ for iPhone has both SMS out and dial out from your GV number. I use it to βmaskβ my βrealβ phone number all the time. Google is giving away free business cards featuring their Google Profile,
RSSmeme | Stories Shared by dileep
iPhone for all my internet / comms when away on business? 4 out of 5. (1) share digg. 18 hours, 19 minutes ago permalink. Shared by dileep (2)
business ethics and internet Resources | BNET
Aug 20, 2008 Amazingly, he kept his job and mostly got away with just a promote business ethics C1994-2000 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD RDATE:31012000 DAVOS I went into business with one of my oldest friends, opening an Internet sales company. The survey reveals that 4 out of 5 (78 percent) respondents say
Amazon.com: Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet
βJoel Comm's understanding of social media and its applications for He always manages to grab my attention in Twitter, despite the limited words availablle within the Matt Bacak, Internet multi-millionaire, Atlanta, GA. See all Editorial Reviews .... 5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for small business owners
Apple iPhone Owners Favor Personal Uses, Not Business - Bits Blog
Apr 28, 2009 I do all of my business email from my phone while on the road. My iPhone is my only source for email when I am away from my office I occasional think about dumping my iPhone, I just hope that before I actually do Apple comes out .... Internet, Web start-ups, digital culture, communications,
Ballmer: "The Internet Was Designed For The PC. The Internet Is
Oct 21, 2009 5. @Take2: The iphone does a great job of rendering the internet on mobile phones. .... ensure communications of mobile and stationary elements (troops, .... MSFT is a company that is going out of business because of this bloody fool .... Even Ballmer is wrong, Internet is all of it, the content and
iPhone Alternatives - BlackBerry Storm 9530 Smartphone
Features of your Apple iPhone
News From The iPhone uk
Photogene for iPhone
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D iPhone application
Unlock your iPhone !
Carlos Santana is launching an iPhone app
Get Everything Working On Jailbroken iPhone/iPod touch Without SSH
Fictionwise and Lexcycle partner to make 40,000 new eBooks available on the iPhone/iTouch
How-to guide details PS/2 keyboard-to-iPhone mod, just for you
The course at Stanford to develop iPhone already had 1 million downloads